Do you want to clear out all the clutter you have around you but you haven’t started yet because you see decluttering as a huge chore? Decluttering doesn’t have to be a chore; in fact, it can really be a lot of fun. Many people try to ignore their clutter because they view it as hard work, but if you saw it as a good time then you will more likely be able to conquer the clutter monster. I’m going to share with you ways in which you can turn decluttering into a good time.
1. Make it a game. Turn decluttering into a family game. Have a non-item prize for the one who can dump the most clutter in 1 hour. Have upbeat music going to get them moving.
2. Hide things. I like to hide things from my husband and if he can’t guess what is missing after a few weeks I just donate it because he must not have really needed it anyway. Have your spouse hide things from you and if you can’t tell what is missing then you don’t need it either.
3. Travel lightly. Then next time you go on a trip back the smallest bag you have and see how little you can really live on. That will open your eyes on how much stuff you really DON’T need.
4. Connect with others. When you connect with others who are also decluttering it helps to have their support and motivation and it really will help you when you motivate and support others. Search online for decluttering challenges and join one. This will inspire you to do more and having someone cheer you on will help you to keep going.
5. Decluttering party. Do you have friends that also need to do some decluttering? Why not get together and have a decluttering party. First at their place and then at yours. You both can help each other declutter and doing it with a friend is a lot more fun than doing it by yourself.
6. Play upbeat and fast music. Find some fast music that you really love and turn it up loud and dance and sing while you declutter your space. You’ll end up having a great time.
7. Celebrate your achievements. Celebrate all your decluttering milestones no matter how small or big. Never celebrate by buying something, do something fun instead like a massage or get your nails done.
8. Use fun containers. Containers are like the icing on your cake. They will give your project that extra dose of color and style and make your organizing a lot more fun. These containers can really jazz up your space once you are done with the decluttering.
9. Track your progress. Have a large chart someplace where you can see it often. Keep track of all the decluttering you do. You will then be able to see your progress every day and you will get a huge sense of accomplishment from seeing how well you are doing.
10. Write down the end result. What will your life be like when all the clutter is gone? What will the space look and feel like when you are done? Keep this close by and read it often to keep you motivated to keep going!