Do you struggle with clutter? This is a very common issue in many households but you can take back control and no longer will clutter rule over you! When we have clutter around us we don’t think as clearly and we are more likely to be emotionally drained. Clutter can make us depressed, angry, fidgety, and even cause physical harm if we have too much of it. Get out from under your clutter by using some of these fabulous tips.
1. 15 Minute Sessions: It is really amazing how much you can declutter in just 15 minutes. Set your timer, grab a bag and get busy. When the timer goes off, you’re done. Do this at least once a day and you will be amazed at how much you get done after a few days.
2. Don’t bring new stuff home: Even if you have decluttered the entire space, this doesn’t mean to bring in new stuff. This is the best habit to start with. Do NOT bring anything more into the space. See how long you can go without bringing in anything new.
3. Donate: Donate all you can so that you won’t feel guilty getting it out of your house. It’s not going to waste because someone else can use it.
4. Keep a chart: Each day you declutter, check them off and write down how many bags you removed. This will give you a great sense of accomplishment.
5. Start by the door: You should always start by the door and work slowly around the entire room. Do the superficial things first like the surfaces and emptying the trash. Then go around the second time more thoroughly by opening drawers and cupboards.
6. When making coffee, tidy up the kitchen: While you make your coffee or tea take those few minutes and tidy up a part of the kitchen. If there is nothing to tidy up, go into the next room and do it there. This will help you keep on top of things.
7. 1 in, 2 out rule: Use this rule whenever you have to bring in an item. Only bring it in when you can take two items out. I know you will cheat at first by throwing away two pieces of paper, but after a while it will get harder because you will have to move onto the bigger stuff.
8. Smaller storage space: Make your storage space smaller and a lot more minimal. If you have a lot of storage then you are going to fill it up with stuff.
9. Clothing rule: If you have not worn something in six months, sell or donate it.
10. The 1 year box: Take all the items you are not sure about getting rid of and put them in a box, seal and date it for 1 year into the future. When the day comes to open the box and you have never opened it to get anything out then donate the box WITHOUT OPENING IT. You probably don’t even remember what was in there anyway.